Lochranza Castle on Arran was built in the 13th century. It passed to the Stewarts of Menteith and became a royal castle when Robert Stewart became King in 1371. In the 1450s the Tower House was granted to the Montgomeries. They held the castle for the next 250 years.
In the 16th Century the castle’s owner decided to modernise it. Two new storeys and a tower provided extra room. The old spacious interior was subdivided into smaller more private, family-orientated chambers. Gone were the days when a laird had to greet all his vassals in one vast hall.