Armstrongs on TV

| October 8, 2008 | 7 Comments

Armstrong Clan Crest

The BBC has begun the re-broadcast of the series ‘Scotland’s Clans’ with the story of Clan Armstrong. This was broadcast here in the UK on Monday night and is available online on the BBCi Player.

I have to say that the presentation was first rate and whilst there will no doubt be a few that will not be pleased that the program is not stuffed with ‘facts’ (spurious names, dates, and references to this or that charter of 14 somethingorother) The program did give a very well balanced view of the position of the clan in Scotland’s history.

Obviously the program centred on the Armstrong’s Riever past and the clan’s betrayal by the Stuart monarchs.

I’d hate to have to sift through all the emails and letter that the BBC will no doubt get at the end of this series from all of those ‘outraged’ that their clan are not included (‘dear sir, why has the Bellshill branch of the clan macshuggle not been included given our contribution to the world of steam driven lawnmower production in the late 19th century? Our clan chief lives at 19 shaleheap view rise, auchenmurtle etc etc’) but even the BBC don’t have the resources to cover all but the most significant.

Still to come are: Cameron, Campbell, Fraser, Mackenzie, MacLeod, MacDonald, MacGregor

Tags: ,

Category: Armstrong, Scottish Clans

About the Author ()

Am part of scotclans.com

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. admin says:

Greetings Charles

The BBC website does not have any info that i can see of a future broadcast date but here is the info page on this episode:

There is a very good chance they will release the series on DVD once it completes it’s run – They will probably also do the same with Neil Oliver’s excellent Scotland’s History programme. Fortunately this entire series is still available on the BBCi player.

Rodger

2. Charles Armstrong says:

Hi Admin,
    I`m a wee Armstrong living way South of the Grenich Line ( Johannesburg South Africa )
    It would be absolutely wonderful if you, or someone, could let me know where I can procure a copy of the Armstrong BBC Broadcaste.

3. admin says:

Actually we got it mixed up with ‘Highland Clans’ which was shown last year. The second in the series was shown a few days ago featuring clan cameron and was also very well done.

4. admin says:

Thanks for the correction Paddy! Any more insights into this program would be very welcome.

Amanda

5. Paddy MacGregor says:

Just a wee correction. The BBC series Scotland’s Clans is not a repeat, but a new series which features Clan Armstrong, Cameron, Douglas, Maclean, Grant, Stewart. I should know. I was the crew driver.

P MacG

6. Paddy MacGregor says:

P MacG

7. ross says:

I was laughing when I read this post Amanda witty but probably very ture!